Saturday, June 9, 2012

Unit 8: Preferred Practices

During our course, we've been introduced to some familiar...and some not so familiar practices in creating a more relaxed state, a more focused and still mind, as well as mind body practices that help to improve both the mental and the physical aspects of our health.  The two I feel have been most useful and enjoyable for me are the mind-body practice of Yoga and The Loving-Kindness Practice.

Yoga gives me the opportunity to exercise both my mind and my body and this is a helpful stress reliever for me, personally.  It allows me to focus on the pace and repetition of my breathing, sometimes the calming music or waves that I play in the background and this gets me out of my head, which is very helpful since I tend to have an inner monologue that won't shut up.  My mind tends to be constantly thinking about...the housework, because once I get a room squared away and tidy, a tornado comes barreling though called Kids and it's all undone again...or I start to wonder and worry about finding a job that will successfully support myself and my six kids (who help clean up their messes - they are great little gifts that I can't imagine my life without) And this leads to other worries or frustrations that I have found difficult at times to quiet. The chattering mind is easier to quiet through prayer, exercise, and breathing/mindfulness meditations, etc.   Yoga helps increase my heart rate and improve the balance I need from heavy and longterm stress that I deal with and the mental concentration and focus on breathing help to eliminate needless chatter in my mind.

The Loving-Kindness Practice has been one of my favorites this entire term.  I enjoy thinking about positive things, remembering the ones that I've been blessed with in life, and focusing positive energy and thoughts into their lives.  I also feel better and more relaxed, positive, patient and intentional about my actions when dealing with people that might not be as easy to communicate with.  This practice helps me to focus love and kindness on those who have hurt me.  It encourages me to offer positive thoughts and prayers toward those I would otherwise try to merely be civil to.  It a convicting practice, one that shows me where I might need to improve my thoughts and seek a more kind approach.  This practice, for some reason, sends me quickly into prayer mode.  I usually mingle this exercise with prayers of thanksgiving, and intercession for others.  I also seek Christ's forgiveness during some of these encounters because I realize my thoughts or words had been less than my best toward someone or something.  It's a practice that encourages me to be better, think better, and live better.

Melissa Rasberry

No comments:

Post a Comment