I. Introduction:
The world of medicine is always changing. And in order to keep up with this
progression, health practitioners must equally evolve, sometimes even leading
the way toward necessary change and transformation. This evolution must first begin within the health
practitioner, a personal walk of development of the psychological, spiritual
and physical aspects of health and wellness. Medicine will not be transformed
if we do not first take this step ourselves (Dacher, 2006).
Integral medicine is holistic, evolutionary,
intentional, person-centered and dynamic (Dacher, 2006). This means that there is an embrace of
all four aspects of the human experience, and not merely a manufacturing of new
treatments and methods of the same stagnate medical practices we see in many
communities (Schlitz, 2005). The
health and wellness professional must develop and be transformed in order to
guide others on their journey toward wholeness and health (Dacher, 2006). Otherwise, the risk increases of
repeating what has become customary to many conventional medical practices in
which only a patient’s symptoms and disease are the focus of treatment. The whole person must be the focus: the
mind, body and spirit (Schlitz, 2005).
In order
to achieve my personal goals in health and wellness, I must make stronger
efforts to develop each domain of my life: the physical, psychological and
spiritual. However, the most
transformative evolution will occur throughout each area if I put a stronger focus
on the psychological and spiritual domains of health and wellness, known as
psychospiritual development. It is
my belief and experience that by first, allowing the spirit and mind to be
changed, all other aspects of development will come naturally with greater
transformation and development. For
example, by addressing the mind, it’s fears, fixations and distress; we release
the hold they have on the mind’s ability to take the necessary steps to health
and wellness. This opens doors to biological healing, development and
evolution. As Dacher writes,
psychospiritual development “is the one are of our development that will most
directly catalyze the full development of our life” (pg. 59).
II. Assessment:
By using the six principles of Integral Assessment,
I have become more closely aware of the areas in my life that need
attention. Asking myself such
questions as, “Which aspects of my life is the most significant source of
distress?” And, “Where is my
greatest opportunity for growth and development?” I am able to identify more
specific focus on where changes need to occur. This can be useful in the spiritual, physical and
psychological domains of health and wellness. Immediate identification can take place, which leads to long
term relief of suffering and distress through a practice of inner,
self-cultivated and maintained integral approaches toward healthy living.
This
assessment required me to be open-minded, unbiased and have guidance from
someone who has insight and wisdom, assisting me in giving form to my
assessment (Dacher, 2006). I
incorporated the assistance of a wellness counselor, who helped me identify
areas in my life that I wanted to see change, both removing the suffering of
stress and mental fatigue as well as building my awareness of and attention
toward the aspects of my life that I see opportunities for growth.
Spiritually,
my assessment led me to the conclusion that for several years, my life had been
motivated mostly by survival needs, “driven by fear” (Dacher, pg107). The condition of my marriage had
directed me to turn toward my faith in Christ to sustain me physically and
emotionally. Upon leaving the
abusive environment, I remained in survival mode and gradually decreased my
spiritual development. It had
become habitual, yet unfulfilling, wandering and undisciplined. My foundation in Christ as a Christian
was evident, yet lacking still.
Inconsistency was the main identifying component of my spiritual
development.
Psychologically,
an integral assessment has shown me that I have been guided and made many of my
life’s decisions based on fear and insecurity. Stability has been evident, but
inconsistent. My psychological
development has been acquired mainly by information and partially pure
awareness. The emotions of fear
were surprisingly evident in many areas of my life, affecting the
interpersonal, the worldly, the biological and the psychospiritual development
in my life. This is a major point
to focus on as I continue my journey toward integral health.
Physically,
assessing my development was fairly easy to identify. While my fitness progress has not been developing as quickly
as it could, I am gradually addressing and making improvements to many areas of
my physical health. Nutrition has
been the greatest development in my life physically. However, a level of self-regulation in physical fitness and
a progression into a highly trained mind and body has been lacking. Again, consistency and self-discipline
have been my weakness.
Of all
the areas of development, I have found that my greatest strengths lie in the
physical domain of integral health.
I would give myself of score of 8 out of 10. Spiritually, I would rank in second place at 7 out of
10. And psychologically, my score
would be approximately a 6, where I have found my greatest need for
improvement. The mind affects the
body and its action; therefore, this is where my greatest focus should be. A great connection lies between the
psychological and the spiritual, in my opinion, since our spiritual beliefs and
practices highly motivate and direct our thoughts and emotions. I believe both will see great
improvement with attention focused more closely.
III. Goal development:
Physical Goals:
- Nutritional Improvements
- Weight loss
My goal is to have a renewed energy, vitality and
confidence in my health physically.
Ultimately, this means weight loss, continued improvements made to my
nutritional practices and regular daily exercise involving cardiovascular and
strength training for at least 60 minutes most days of the week.
Psychological Goals:
- To reduce and cope with stress more effectively
- To be motivated by wisdom and compassion
My
psychological goals include the desire to reduce the stress in my life that
comes from fear and insecurity. I
also hope to develop practices that train my mind to be motivated by wisdom and
compassion, rather than emotional reactivity. This will be a collaborative effort along side my spiritual
practices and development as they are often connected and responsive to one
another.
Spiritual Goals:
- Daily Bible study
- Prayer and meditation
My goal
is to be motivated more toward finding wisdom and wholeness, seeking to renew a
personal relationship again with Christ so that my purpose may be fully
experienced and fulfilled. In so doing, my confidence, purpose and joy can be
more easily restored and the painful circumstances that I face will not seem so
insurmountable. This goal includes
a daily commitment of time toward Biblical study and prayer and meditation.
IV. Practices
for personal health:
Strategies
to foster growth in each domain of development will sometimes be isolated. At other times they will be all
inclusive. For instance, the first
step toward creating opportunities for reaching my goals in all domains will
require an assessment of my priorities throughout each day and a withdrawal
from activities that hinder my success.
Namely, time management assessments will be the first focus and habits
like watching television will be the first daily routine that will decrease
drastically in order to open up the time necessary to implement the practices
required to reach my goals.
Another exercise in time management will be a healthy sleep schedule
that will foster a healthy lifestyle and reduce stress. Since I want to encourage success, my
strategies for growth will be gradual and progressive. I will begin with a small step rather
than a huge leap. For example,
instead of making the commitment to immediately begin the day with a one-hour
run, followed by a 30-minute Bible study and eventual 30 minutes of meditation
during the day, I will start with one practice for only a few minutes. As discipline and motivation increases,
my time and involvement will increase and improve. This is the best method toward reaching these goals toward
integral health (Dacher, 2006).
Physical Strategies:
Psychological
Strategies: (psychospiritual)
Spiritual
Strategies:
V. Commitment:
My
progress will be assessed in several ways. Through counseling, I will see the results of six months of
my efforts from the accountable perspective of the counselor as well as my
own. Another way to track my
progress will be by the journaling I publish through my blog and in private
journals. I can track my physical
activities, eating habits and my thoughts on how the various contemplative
practices are affecting my mental fitness and improving my overall health and
wellness. Accountability is
critical and I believe it will be imperative to have a committed friend,
relative and/or hire practitioner to assess my progress. Weekly and monthly assessments will be
sufficient to track my progress or lack thereof and direct my efforts.
For
long-term practices in health and wellness, I will conduct another integral
health assessment and then seek the assistance where it is needed at that
time. The inclusion of friends and
family are essential for long-term success, but may not always be
available. Seeking professional
help from a health practitioner who supports the holistic or integral approach
to healing would be my first choice and seeking his/her wisdom and guidance in
further health assessments would be the best way to see long-term success
toward integral health (Dacher, 2006).
Reference:
Dacher, E.S.(2006) Integral Health: The path to human flourishing. Laguna Beach, CA: Basic Health Publications, Inc.
Schlitz, M., Amorok, T., and Micozzi, M.S.(2005) Consciousness and healing: Integral approaches to mind-body medicine. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier Churchill Livingstone
No comments:
Post a Comment