Saturday, June 23, 2012

Unit 10: Rating Comparison

In unit 3, I ranked myself at a 6/10 Physically, 7/10 spiritually, and 8/10 psychologically.  Now, having been through a course that allowed me to...and sometimes forced me (smiling) to look more deeply into these areas and form a clear, unbiased assessment...those numbers had changed.

I started to develop more in these areas throughout this course and by this unit, I assessed that I was 8/10 physically, 7/10 spiritually, and 6/10 psychologically.  Where my life can have the most impact on my overall health, the psychological and the spiritual, I found a lacking development.  It was made clear to me that I had listened to the negativity that had been surrounding me and believed that I was stuck...in life, in loss, and that there wasn't much hope left.  However, my practice in mindfulness meditation, loving-kindness, and a renewal of my daily Bible study helped to reveal a world of possibility, hope and joy that was already present in my life.  I have been given the tools, some of which were already within me to develop these areas, find the peace and joy that we all seek in life, and  pursue the purpose in my life that is becoming more clear as I become more disciplined.

The score could still use some tweaking, I'm certain, but for now I will work toward a more regular daily walk of physical fitness, good nutrition as well as psychospiritual development.  My activities have changed quite a bit since Unit 3.  I am seeking a time of quiet in my day that was lacking before.  Exercise is an even higher priority, too.  Practices in Loving-kindness and Meeting Aesclepius have become albeit altered a bit to suit my Christian faith, but more regularly practiced to develop a stronger sense of purpose, motivation to live by higher standards, seek perfection and love others as I am called...to truly have compassion and love as well as forgiveness for those who may be more difficult to do so than others.  This class is helping me not only deal with adversity but to flourish in the midst of it.

Melissa Rasberry

2 comments:

  1. Some of the practices we have been exposed to do have great potential in religious contexts. It is, as you have found, a way of tweaking them to suit the Christian faith. I think it has an enlightening quality for devoted followers who will benefit from reflection on Christian values and concepts if examined from another angle.

    Good luck to you and hope you make the best of all that comes to you Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa,

    That last bit of your paragraph really sent the message home there "...helping me not only deal with adversity but to flourish in the midst of it." That's the goal, right? While we all wish that life could be a breeze the truth of it is that we have to do the best with what we have and what is presented us. Learning to navigate life as you state will certainly make things that much more enjoyable and worthwhile. Great post!

    Thank you,

    James Banks

    ReplyDelete