The Subtle Mind and The Loving-Kindness Practices:
While last week's mental training included the Loving-Kindness Practice, we had the opportunity to participate in what's called the Subtle Mind Practice during this week's unit of study. It was distinctively different from last week's practice, in that we had a more constant directive by the narrator in the Loving-Kindness Practice. It was easier to remain focused on the intended thought, person, emotion, etc. However, I found the Subtle-Mind Practice to be quite challenging in that regard. I was repeatedly having to draw my mind back to the stillness of my breath, my focal point and turn from the randomness of my thoughts.
The first time I participated in the practice, I closed my eyes and focused on the pattern of my breathing and the sound of the waves crashing in the background. I even made a mental focal point of a large Oak Tree among the crashing waves. This helped, but only for moments at a time. My mind would turn to the random thoughts of my children, the tasks I hadn't accomplished yet, the difficult conversations I had with individuals this week...it was mentally challenging to keep the thoughts out of my head. "How can I silence my mind?", I thought. It felt frustrating that I was unable to extend my focus beyond a few minutes.
During the Loving-Kindness Exercise, I was able to more successfully focus on the directives of the narrator's voice. It was easier to visualize the eviction of negative conversations, images, feelings and people from my mind and replace them with the calming, loving, positive concentrations that we were instructed to practice. I welcomed the idea of having an image of my loved ones and the warm emotions that followed the loving-kindness practice. It came more naturally to me.
I feel challenged by the Subtle Mind Practice and will have to make a stronger effort to improve my mental focus and calm-abiding mind. I look forward to being able to reach this subtle and still mind that is so critical to integral health and wellness.
Spiritual Wellness Connection to Mental and Physical Wellness:
I believe there is a direct connection between our spiritual health to our mental and physical wellness. They are all interconnected. When one is neglected, they all suffer in one form or another. It is possible to connect them further in our efforts toward integral health, for example, our times of physical exercise. During these workouts of our physical bodies, we can mentally train our minds while enhancing our physical performance by visualizing the strengthening of our muscles, the flexibility of our limbs and the release of tension in our joints, muscles and tissues. Likewise, our spiritual health can and is improved when we choose to focus on the stillness of our minds, our breath and our focus. Prioritizing our thoughts on the positive, the compassionate, the entity to which we pray can be practiced during periods of repetitive exercise that doesn't require much concentration. One example that I use in my life is to listen to music that is Christian, uplifting, encouraging and a reminder of who I am as a believer in Christ. They replace the self-centered, insecure, and/or negative thoughts that can invade the mind with positive, motivation for giving my best in all that I do. I run longer, harder and faster when I listen to music that inspires me. My attitude is improved. There is a pep in my step and a smile on my face. Some examples of music that gets me training harder with a positive attitude and focus are Johnny Lang's Thankful, Chris Tomlin's You Lifted Me Out, Nicol Sponberg's All Things New, and Third Day's Everywhere You Go. Songs like these help me focus on what I'm called to be as a Christian, how I am to respond to adversity and what unimaginable strength I have within me. On some of my walks/runs, I am able to spend time praying, talking to God about various things and it always has a profoundly positive affect on the productivity and direction of my days.
During these workouts, I find focus, guidance and a release of the negative things that hold me down. I attribute that accomplish not to any one act, but to the interconnected practice of joining the physical, mental and spiritual wellness "workouts" that lead me to integral health.
I look forward to reading about my classmates experiences with this week's assignments.
God Bless,
Melissa Rasberry
Hi Melissa
ReplyDeleteI have to admit that when I did this practice I couldn’t get settled, my mind wonder I started having random pains, everything to keep me from concentrating on the exercise. I never thought of adding something in the ocean to bring additional focus to the practice but I will next time.
Thanks for the idea!
Terri Bentley