It's been quite a challenge this week to create a silent mind. My children are out of school now and it seems there is always something going on, an appointment, an errand, a sibling rivalry that must be attended to before I can accomplish the things I would like to do with this week's assignment.
I have spent two separate time periods, early in the morning (5am) in which I was able to find some time in the stillness of the house to prepare my mind for this exercise. As I cleared my head of the random chatter that came to the surface involuntarily, I started to design an image in my mind of the four aspects of integral health. My thoughts would take me to various areas of stress in my present circumstances. It was difficult to keep my mind from overflowing with the bombardment of issues...the divorce, the kids' summer plans, the bills, the grocery list, etc. The exercise itself somewhat created an open window to invite the white rapids of ramblings that came crashing through my mind. When I tried to read the sentences from the book, I got distracted, lost focus and my mind would wander again.
I chose to take some time out and pray, read some scripture to help me quiet the worrier in my head and focus on my breathing, depend on God to guide my thoughts and create a stillness within me.
This exercise is challenging, but I'm certain it will be better the next time.
Melissa Rasberry
Melissa,
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your thoughts. When it comes to finding time to do these exercises in a quiet place, I can totally relate. With a busy lifestyle and people all around the house, that is sometimes impossible. You have to catch a quiet place and time sometimes in the most random times. lol. Any type of exercise like this I have always found some type of benefit you get from it. It always sems like you leave the room with a different feeling and an open mind. It's like feeling refreshed again. Its an amazing feeling and I would recommend it to anyone. Thanks for sharing.
Brittany Everman
Brittany,
DeleteYes, the stolen moments are sometimes the only ones we get! :)
I tried getting up on hour earlier this morning, for example, but that was the morning that my one year old, Katie, decided to get up early as well. She and I had an early breakfast instead of me taking an earlier morning walk/run, or getting some meditation or Bible study in before the rest of the house woke up. It was funny and aggravating at the same time.
It is amazing to find that just 10 minutes of quiet mental training can have a majorly positive impact on the course, mood and completion of one's day.
Good luck finding the time you need!
Melissa Rasberry
Mellissa
ReplyDeleteI really appreciate your honestly and openness about this exercise. It seems as though your mind quickly informed you that the interpersonal quadrant of integral health was a little out of control, but you then used the strengths and abilities that you have in the psychospiritual quadrant to settle you anxiety and in turn help in the biological quadrant of integral health. This is just my impression. I could be way off.
When I did this exercise I realized that the area causing me suffering, the area that I probably scored the lowest in, and the area that I felt I was ready to improve and strengthen were all different. I.e. my lowest area was not necessarily causing me suffering and is just not priority at this moment. My area of suffering is something that I am not necessarily willing to confront or tackle at this moment, but I do feel that strengthening an area that I am already doing pretty well in, will help me with everything else.
I do not think there is anything wrong with focusing on an area you are already stong in, for you possible psychospiritual, because ultimately it will help you in other areas.
Melissa, it is recommended that you take at least a few minutes out your day to focus on yourself and do some introspecting in order to establish a wellness guide for yourself to conduct a successful healing for spiritual, biological and mentally.
ReplyDeleteMelissa,
ReplyDeleteI get up early too. I love the rainy mornings because that makes it even easier to clear my mind. Although it does help when I drink my chamomile tea the night before and I have a great night sleep. My focal point became the rain and I sat by the window and let my mind drift off to an open sea. There I was able to think well in the practice of loving kindness, and once there it was easy to still my mind. Then, all of a sudden, it sounded like it was off in the background but I heard chatter. It was the children riding the early am bus. That broke my concentration. I feel like I wanted to scream because I was at a good place in my mind.